Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Wishing on a scale

My husband has this really good trick, he goes to the grocery store and buys 3-5 more bananas then we actually need. Then he let's them sit on our kitchen counter until Sunday. He know's if I'm home on Sunday I will take one look at the 'poor brown bananas' and make this tasty recipe for him. He hovers around the kitchen until I'm done and as soon as I take it out of the pan he is cutting himself a warm slice.
I think I'm going to hold out on him until he buy's me this precious pink cooking scale.


Yummy Banana Bread (courtisy of Martha Stewart with a few changes of my own)

Prep: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutes, Serves 10

Ingredients
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cups sugar
3 large eggs
3 cups mashed medium very ripe bananas (about 6)
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 to 1 1/2 cup chocolate chips

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-by-5-by-3-inch (2-quart) loaf pan; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, nutmeg, baking powder, salt, and baking soda; set aside.

2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with two additions of banana; mix until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips, if desired, by hand.

3. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with only a few moist crumbs attached, 60 to 70 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes in pan, then turn out of pan and let cool completely on a wire rack.

No comments: