Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Sometimes lettuce isn't enough

I love a good salad. Sometimes when we get home late from work I will have a good bowl of salad and be full. We always (most of the time) have salad made and in a large bowl in the fridge. All that needs to be added is the dressing, croutons and my favorite - avocado. Sometimes lettuce isn't enough. If I bring a salad for lunch at work, I seem to get hungry around 3pm and that's when the snacking starts. After being on Weight Watcher's last year and realizing how great broccoli is, not to mention how much I love it, I decided to look for a broccoli salad recipe that would be filling and nutritious. Jackpot, I Googled [love that Google] and found a great recipe that also includes chick peas - another one of my favorites. So tonight I'm going to whip up a batch and hopefully have good things to say about it tomorrow.

If you'd like to try it here's the recipe;

1 cup of canned chick peas
Salt, to taste
1/2 pound broccoli crowns, broken into florets
1/2 small red onion, sliced (optional)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, or a combination of parsley and dill

2 ounces shaved Parmesan (garnish)

For the dressing:
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, champagne vinegar, or sherry vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 small garlic clove, minced or put through a press
Salt and freshly ground pepper
6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, or 4 tablespoons olive oil and 2 tablespoons buttermilk or plain low-fat or nonfat yogurt

Mix together the lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper. Whisk in the olive oil (or the oil and buttermilk or yogurt). Set aside.

Toss and finish with Parmesan, serve warm.

No comments: